The draft is underway!

Click here to go to your war room, or visit the war room item in the draft menu.

NOTE: As of the last sim, this league was under the minimum 50% capacity. Invite your friends to join MyFootballNow to keep this league alive! Then send them to this league to become the owner of a team! The league will expire at 7/12/2020 8:00 pm.

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

The Players I am Watching- The Wide Recievers

By greyghost1225
8/21/2019 8:30 pm
This is the Wide Receiver edition. I would like to thank our special guest Meatmen. He has agreed to offer his knowledge and the wideout position and I would like to thank him. Now with that being said I would like to announce the upcoming positions reviews and there have been several guest correspondents agreed to contribute. I am very happy they will be offering their knowledge to assist the development of the newbies. There are no specific dates for these. It will be posted when time allows.

Quarterbacks- NA
Running Backs- special guest Bryno- completed
Wide Recievers- special guest Meatmen- completed
Defensive Backs- special guest Otterpop
Linebackers- special guest Smirt211
Defensive Line- special guest Big Poppa
Special Edition- The Salary Cap special guest Beercloud
Special Edition- Trade Philosophies special guest jouameng

When I started thinking about the Wide Receiver position, my first thoughts were to talk about the need for speed, but then realized in most cases it is more than that. This being a new league, speed is devastating especially at this position. That can be shown as the top 11 receivers in the league all have more than 80 rated speed. I think speed is important and I normally have 5 wr’s on my team, but not all of them are fast, some have other attributes. The main 3 attributes I look at are speed, Bump and Run(B&R) avoidance, and pass receiving courage. Now this is not what every owner uses, but I have different lineups work for different types of offenses.

This is my normal setup
WR 1: My best receiver in b&r and pass rec courage
WR 2: My fastest receiver with good b&R
WR 3: My best hands receiver, not necessarily the fastest. The lowest speed I will go to is 69, but have used 66 on occasion.
WR 4 & WR 5: This is strictly personal preference on how you build your team.

You will notice I left out pass catching. Pass catching is an important attribute, but I just don’t put much stock in it. I will give you an example:

James Fernandez- Rapid City 971 yards, 10 td’s
He is obviously a good receiver. Here are his numbers
Speed 92
B&R avoid 85
Pass rec courage 66
pass catching 50
Times targeted 71
drops 7

The second player I want to look at is who I consider to be the best wide receiver in the league, at least from a attribute perspective.

James Paige- Broken Arrow 319 yards, 2 td's
Speed 93
B&R avoid 89
Pass rec courage 88
pass catching 86
Times targeted 65
drops 19

The reason I picked these two players is showing the pass catching abilities was to show the difference in pass catching vs. that actual abilities of the players. There is a 36 point difference between the two, but Fernandez has dropped less. When looking at your receivers don’t put too much thought into pass catching, it is there and important just not the primary focus.

Okay, now on to our special guest Meatmen and his take on the Wide Receiver position.

I would like to qualify myself by saying that I've been active in the game for just over 3 years now. I am no expert. I have only won 1 LC in 7 tries. More often than not I put up a competitive team that wins more than they lose. I try to build from within and rely on the FA pool heavily. Here is my take on WR's :

Stating the obvious you always want great speed and catch. 80-85+ speed or better is a rule.
SPEED, SPEED, SPEED! At least 75+ catch. If you’re going to have a slower player the remainder of his attributes better be rock solid! I like my receivers smaller than most I usually try to get a couple 5'11 guys with great rec. courage and good strength and route running. I will say most GM's like their WR's taller and that would be sound advice as well. I think they are easier to use as RB's when the need arises. The trend in this version seems to be to carry 7 or 8 receivers. I don't believe in it but to each his own. I have been modified my team is the past to suit the changes in versions...I won't any longer.

If at all possible you need two top notch receivers, all the red bars as high as possible for 1&2,
speed, acceleration, catch, and reception courage 80+. I like my top guys to have high strength to fight off those clingy DB's and real good run for the YAC factor. Good run also helps if your using your guy as a RB. (not all wr's will do well ). Other factors I consider are Intelligence, discipline and avoid fumble. (The latter doesn't seem to matter in this version). WR 3 can if need be a little lower in attributes. I like a good blocker at WR3 along with good catch and courage. Next (WR4&5) these guys don't need to be “STARS” You don't need to pay a ton of $ or give up the farm in pics to fill these spots. They don't need to have super high attributes, except for speed and catch unless you are going to run 4 & 5 wide all the time. It won't work in this version so don't even go there. Of course, you want the best players you can get but don't stress If you have to pick up a WR 5 at league minimum to round out your roster. I have found many WR With a 60-65 default rating and nothing but the minimum attributes that have gone on to be solid players. I .have drafted a few at the 40-50 level that have progressed into real nice 70's rated players. https://paydirt.myfootballnow.com/player/5098 and he is signed till year 9 for around 4.5M. He will never be a star but he is more than adequate for what I use him for.

Lastly, a few tips to help some of you new guys.

1. WR's and RB's drastically lose their abilities after Year 9. a few will go 10 but not many in my experience. I beg you don't sign an 8 or nine year RB/WR to a long term contract. Even a 90+ rate can drop like a rock and now you have a washed up player and a cap issue!

2. Set your player weights!!!!! This is a great tool if used correctly. It can help you find players your may be looking for and is great for finding those golden nuggets in the drafts.

3. Default ratings are not the “holy grail”! I have had and seen many teams with lower rated players be winners and make the playoffs. My thinking is two 70's players are many times worth more than 1 90's player. Yes it's important to get the best players available but it's not always possible so be flexible and experiment.

4. Good Receivers are almost useless if you don't have a QB with high accuracy, An OL with lots of strength and block, at least one preferably two RB's with speed, Strength and ball carry, a couple good TE with high catch, speed and good blocking can add to your game. You need the whole package in this version. (Yes, players play independently) Stay away from the long passing. Use it yes, but don't overuse it. You'll get intercepted and frustrated as the QB's in this version throw too soon.

Well that's my view. I hope that in some small way it helped. I am sure that there are many differing thoughts on the subject. Please feel free to take what you want and throw the rest out. Should anyone have any questions you can ask them here or PM me. I am always willing to help as many have helped me. Thanks to Greyghost for inviting me to share my thoughts. This was a great game and I have every confidence that the powers that be are working hard on a fix to the current growing pains. Have fun and good luck there is a lot to learn for all of us.............................................MM

Re: The Players I am Watching- The Wide Recievers

By Bryno
8/21/2019 8:50 pm
Great job by both of you!! Some contrast but not crazily different. I appreciate the effort in all of this! It's a great addition to this league!

By Meatmen
8/21/2019 9:49 pm
Bryno wrote:
Great job by both of you!! Some contrast but not crazily different. I appreciate the effort in all of this! It's a great addition to this league!

Thanks ...I agree that there is some contrast. We all know there are certain things that work and vice versa. In this version we (as vets) have figured out what works... Most of us have our own approach at getting there. Greyghost has his game and you have yours, Awest, Jouameng, smirt, Bryno etc.. pick a GM. Everyone has there own way. I think what is great is that we can come together and give our views to make both leagues and the game better!.......................MM
(I apologize if I left any of the vets out I was just picking names out of the air

By Smirt211
8/22/2019 3:49 am
Couple of things:

#1: Age 29, you're holding on for dear life hoping the WR maintains their speed. The expectation is they will. Age 30, anvil off a cliff. WEEEEEEEE!!!!! Expect speed to be shattered into the 70s for elite players. Meatmen was right to caution on this and I recall in the draft a couple early picks the reviews on them didn't realize how short term the players would be. :( (I was just waking up. I mixed this up with the League of Legends 1st Round Dispersal Draft Pick by Pick Recaps)

#2: My WR. I really didn't want to draft him but I sussed around at the time of the selection to find a better alternative. I kinda/sorta punted pass catching a bit to get the rest of the characteristics plus the need for speed. That was a good catch by you...!

Last edited at 8/22/2019 4:04 am

By Meatmen
8/22/2019 4:08 am
Smirt211 wrote:
Couple of things:

#1: Age 29, you're holding on for dear life hoping the WR maintains their speed. The expectation is they will. Age 30, anvil off a cliff. WEEEEEEEE!!!!! Expect speed to be shattered into the 70s for elite players. Meatmen was right to caution on this and I recall in the draft a couple early picks the reviews on them didn't realize how short term the players would be. :(

#2: My WR. I really didn't want to draft him but I sussed around at the time of the selection to find a better alternative. I kinda/sorta punted pass catching a bit to get the rest of the characteristics plus the need for speed. That was a good catch by you...!

Ahh yes one of the things I forgot to include about the lower rated players is shelf life. Many will only have a few good seasons and I have no answer as how to tell when. Some will take years to get there. Maybe having been cut by several teams...then bang he's balls out for 2-3 seasons and then of to the bone yard. I had a guy in L10 that jsid cut he was a wr with not much more than Speed, br tackle and ball carry. I moved him to RB and he gained 900+ yards and had 12 TD's and I was paying him $400,000 a season. He had two good seasons and then off to the bone yard. LOL

By Big Poppa
8/22/2019 8:51 am
Meatmen wrote:
Smirt211 wrote:
Couple of things:

#1: Age 29, you're holding on for dear life hoping the WR maintains their speed. The expectation is they will. Age 30, anvil off a cliff. WEEEEEEEE!!!!! Expect speed to be shattered into the 70s for elite players. Meatmen was right to caution on this and I recall in the draft a couple early picks the reviews on them didn't realize how short term the players would be. :(

Ahh yes one of the things I forgot to include about the lower rated players is shelf life. Many will only have a few good seasons and I have no answer as how to tell when. Some will take years to get there. Maybe having been cut by several teams...then bang he's balls out for 2-3 seasons and then of to the bone yard. I had a guy in L10 that jsid cut he was a wr with not much more than Speed, br tackle and ball carry. I moved him to RB and he gained 900+ yards and had 12 TD's and I was paying him $400,000 a season. He had two good seasons and then off to the bone yard. LOL

Volatility dictates this:
High vol means bigger faster gains (or losses) in attributes
Low vol means slower more gradual gains (or losses) in attributes