The draft is underway!

Click here to go to your war room, or visit the war room item in the draft menu.

NOTE: As of the last sim, this league was under the minimum 50% capacity. Invite your friends to join MyFootballNow to keep this league alive! Then send them to this league to become the owner of a team! The league will expire at 7/12/2020 8:00 pm.

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: greyghost1225 Game Guide Series

By Beercloud
9/10/2019 8:36 pm
The Players I am Watching- The Quarterbacks

By greyghost1225
8/14/2019 2:34 pm
There are many ideas and building strategies in MFN. There are some that work and some don’t. I am by no means the authority when it comes to individual strategy. My background is been playing 3 RL years, normally I take over teams to rebuild and turn the franchises around and move on, most LA’s and owners will tell you that. I have experienced most rebuilding situations and that is where my focus normally lies. I have certain players that I am watching in Paydirt-B and will give my thoughts, but do not consider these rules or even league standards. If someone would like to add items to these articles, please feel free. I will not be reviewing every position, it will change per article, and off we go.

QB

Robert Ochoa- Rapid City 2639 yards, 22 td’s, 8 ints.
There 3 things that I like. First he has only thrown 259 passes, in comparison to other starting Qb’s that is very low. Secondly, he is completing a 70.7 percent of passes thrown. Normally anytime a QB completes that percentage of passes it provides a good offensive output. The final number is yards per attempt which is the highest among QB’s. What these numbers show is play calling that does *not rely on the passing game, but when he does it is very successful and is getting 3 yards more per pass that the next QB. He is 24 and took a hit in his talent level in the pre-season(more on this later).

Gary Brown- Greenwood 2048 yards, 10 td’s, 4 ints
Brown is currently at his full levels in both accuracy 88 and Intelligence 84 and is only 22. I like both of these numbers and he got a bump in the pre-season. I will talk more about them in a minute. He also has a low pass total at 251, high completion percentage 74.5 which is outstanding and 8.15 in yards per attempt. Brown and Ochoa both rank in the top ten in passing offenses.

Andy Jacobs- Chandler 585 yards, 0 td’s, 28 int’s
If used properly there is no doubt in mind that Jacobs is a future star of the league. Gleg is aware of what he has and has shown the willingness to take his lumps. Jacobs is over 80 in every significant passing attribute, the exception is accuracy which he is showing to top out at 100. There is no way this player should ever be traded.

John Soares- Norfolk 1628 yards, 4td’s, 13 int’s
Soares is a good example of a middle of the road QB. He has very good attributes except for one, accuracy in which he rates 56. I will get more into this in a second, but a team that has a QB that is rated 56 will have very poor offensive output. I am going to do Norfolk a solid here. Put in your rookie David Gary, you might get sacked a few more times, but your passing attack will improve.

QB Hints:
1. ACCURACY, ACCURACY, ACCURACY, Version 4.5 is big on QB accuracy. The experienced owners already know this, so follow their lead. It has been easy to get by with a lower rated QB in accuracy, due to being a new league. Don’t get me wrong, other attributes are important, but not on the same level. I would be looking at QB’s that have a minimum accuracy of 80. If there is a version change, the attribute then may not be important, but going forward ACCURACY, ACCURACY, ACCURACY.
2. Don’t think that just because you have a very good QB that translates to a good offense. There are several concepts that make up the passing game.
a. QB Talent- mentioned above
b. OL Talent- If your QB is under constant pressure he will throw more Int’s and incompletions.
c. WR Talent- Your receivers must get open and must be able to catch the ball.
3. DO NOT build an offense around the long passing game. A new owner should stick with short and medium passes. Experienced have shown they can take advantage of the long passes in specific situations. New owners do yourself a favor, don’t do it.

A couple of rebuilding hints:
Start preparing for next season now. Here are a few hints to get you going.
1. Review you player weights. If you are not getting the production you want from an area now is the time to make adjustments. There are many good owners that you can ask or read the forums, there are suggestions throughout.
2. Review you game plans. An example, How many yards per carry is your running backs getting? I like looking at how many times a play has been called over the past 3 games. If I have a running play called 33 times, that means it is being run an average of 11 times per game. If I am gaining 5 yards a carry, great. If I am losing 3 yards a carry it needs replaced. The same method can be used for the passing game.
3. Watch the waiver wire for gems. In most cases my weights are different than everyone else(I don’t use default weights), so there are players that come across that I have a high value on that another team may not, you might be able to pick up a player to help next season, but look at their contract to make sure it works in your team budget.
4. Are your players lined up at the best position? You will hear many own talk about important attributes, an example would be if an owner likes speedy CB’s then why would an owner line up a 48 speed at CB. It is of course personal preference, but it is a good thing to check.
5. Check free agency. I have reviewed many teams since I started writing and can tell you in some cases there are better free agents than players you rebuilding teams have on your rosters.
6. If you are a rebuilding team and find that gem via free agency or waiver wire, keep a close eye on who you cut. Don’t take too much of a salary cap hit next season.

**One additional note: If a player booms he will continue in that direction, if a player busts he will continue it that direction. The last time I checked there has been no changes in this.
**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

By Gleg
8/14/2019 6:25 pm
Thank you for this! You never stop learning in this game. Still very new so this is all very helpful information.

By Jaulschge
8/19/2019 7:00 am
Just read this article now. Thanks for the explanation with accuracy. I will try and give my Rookie QB a few games, to see, if the passing game improves. (I don't have to loose anything this season, anyway...) ;)

By Jaulschge
8/21/2019 9:55 am
It actually worked out very well in my game against Wilmington:

https://paydirt-b-league.myfootballnow.com/box/228

I started my Rookie-QB, David Gary. And he actually hat 18/22 completions for 182 Yds and 4 TDs!
Last edited at 9/10/2019 9:47 pm

By Beercloud
9/10/2019 8:38 pm
The Players I am Watching- The Running Backs

By greyghost1225
8/18/2019 8:56 pm
There are many ways to view the running back situation. I am going to share my view and then thankfully Bryno has written some things to make my life of a Paydirt writer easier this edition.

There is nothing like having a good running back. A running back with the right amount of speed and power can turn a 3 yard run into a 30-40 yard td. Yes I have seen it, even in this version of MFN. Before we expand on the running backs, let’s look at the game for a minute. There are many different styles of offense, but the goal is the same. Keep moving the football forward. In order for this to happen a team must get 10 yards in 3 plays, yes there is 4th down which is a different story. A team MUST average 3.5 yards per play minimum to keep the sticks moving. Many lose sight of this and want 20, 30, 40 yards at a time. This can happen, can have a quicker reward, but comes with a higher risk (interceptions). A good running back will make the sticks move at a slower pace, but fewer turnover potential.

If you think you have a good running back ask yourself these questions. How many rushing yards is her averaging? If not 3.5, adjustments may be needed in the running game. I would think it is play calling, poor offensive line, or maybe the running back weights are off. This edition I have chosen one running back to look at the running back that leads the league in rushing, yards per carry, and will probably be the only 1000 yard rusher this season.

Benajmin Reuter- Rapid City 890 yards, 8 td’s, 5.8 yards per carry

It is important to think in terms of numbers, Reuter ranks 13th in carries. Think about that for a second, there are 12 other running backs in the league that have more carries, only 2 average more than 3 yards per carry. The second thing to think about is if you give Reuter the ball 2 times per series he will get you a first down, 2 x 5.8 = 11.6. That is what a good running back can do for your team. The final thing I have to say is in this version is to go 3 deep due to the amount of injuries.

Okay, I *am happy to have Bryno submit addition information. I am currently in 3 leagues with him and he has been playing MFN for 2 RL years.

Bryno’s Take

Here's my personal spin on the RB position.

- Do what you can to get at least 1 RB on your roster that is a "blue chip". What defines a blue chip for me is:

At a Minimum
* Speed Above 85
* Strength Above 80
* Ball Carry Above 80
* Avoid Fumble Above 70

Bonus if you can get it:
* Accel Above 80
* Break Tackle Above 70

The other attributes not listed above, of course whatever you can get. Great! But I don't have them listed above for a reason. (i.e., Receiving Attributes, Blocking Attributes)

The reason I say this is because I have seen a number of my RB's do well in the running game AND in RECEIVING even with paltry attribute numbers for B&R, RR, and Courage. Even Break Tackle attribute can be compromised and you can still have a productive RB. As for blocking, I solve those issues (low attribute #'s) in a different way that I'm not getting into here.

If you can at all possibly get a second RB with decent numbers, do it!! A third?!! Of course, even better. RB's get banged up a TON so you need some insurance if you're going to lean on your running game. My personal "injury theory" concerning RB's and how you can 'possibly' mitigate the frequency, will be the last thing I mention.

But first. Don't be afraid to designate your RB as a WR (hard-change the position) And then slot them at RB. This has been a "thing" in MFN for as long as I've been here and it is widely accepted by most competitors. By doing this you will have that player lose a few pounds which will translate into a bump in speed and acceleration. However, it 'can' have a bump in injury potential as well..you've been advised.

Finally. What I just said about an RB losing weight translating into 'increased injury potential'. How do I mitigate this? It is a 'theory' people. So just remember that. I always TRY to get running backs that are bigger. 6' 0" or taller. I have done this for over 2 [calendar] years and I personally believe that it mitigates injury frequency in the RB position. (*disclaimer, this has been discussed on an MFN radio show that I used to do with Supersloth003 and Bryson10 and neither one of them completely discounted this theory. They didn't exactly buy it either)

Overall, don't be afraid to try different things. Think about what other positions can 'help' your running back and mold your offensive sets to maximize as many of your players' strengths as you can to complement the RB. Statistically, does your next opponent do well against the run? If they suck? GO AFTER THEM WITH THE GROUND AND POUND!! Winning the game is much more fun than your QB lighting up the opponent-and you still losing because you didn't give any love to your running game.

Good luck, all! Newbie's, welcome to the "crack" of sim football!!

Thanks Bryno, if anyone else would like to add their views, please pm me. If I have more than one owner, it will need to be spread out and scheduled. The next edition I am planning on Wide Receivers, then I am going to the defensive side of the ball.
***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

By Beercloud - League Admin
8/19/2019 2:09 pm
This is a great series greyghost.

By Smirt211
8/21/2019 4:47 pm
I immediately wanted to comment on this at the time but I was in the middle of getting through my games for the day.

"So just remember that. I always TRY to get running backs that are bigger. 6' 0" or taller."

I really thought this theory had credence even though you were 'no sold' on it during the radio show. Basically, where you were heading on it is that converted FBs and TEs to the RB position should be fortified, less an injury risk and may even inflict damage on the opposing defensive line. (get them banged up)

There's various strategies one can try to be successful. Off-shoots. The thing is to be diligent and pound the sucker. Go all in.

By Meatmen
8/21/2019 9:34 pm
Everybody wants the tall guys.....as someone that grew up to be 5'8" and full of bull! I can tell you, in the sports world, and many other professions you tend to get overlooked at first (yes a short joke)..You have to be tough and persistent to be seen and heard..ala Rocky Bleier, Darren Sproles and Wes Welker................MM

By Frosty96
8/23/2019 11:40 pm
John Maddy is making a comeback after his injury with 10 tds;)
Last edited at 9/10/2019 9:48 pm

By Beercloud
9/10/2019 8:41 pm
The Players I am Watching- The Wide Recievers

By greyghost1225
8/21/2019 9:30 pm
This is the Wide Receiver edition. I would like to thank our special guest Meatmen. He has agreed to offer his knowledge and the wideout position and I would like to thank him. Now with that being said I would like to announce the upcoming positions reviews and there have been several guest correspondents agreed to contribute. I am very happy they will be offering their knowledge to assist the development of the newbies. There are no specific dates for these. It will be posted when time allows.

Quarterbacks- NA
Running Backs- special guest Bryno- completed
Wide Recievers- special guest Meatmen- completed
Defensive Backs- special guest Otterpop
Linebackers- special guest Smirt211
Defensive Line- special guest Big Poppa
Special Edition- The Salary Cap special guest Beercloud
Special Edition- Trade Philosophies special guest jouameng

When I started thinking about the Wide Receiver position, my first thoughts were to talk about the need for speed, but then realized in most cases it is more than that. This being a new league, speed is devastating especially at this position. That can be shown as the top 11 receivers in the league all have more than 80 rated speed. I think speed is important and I normally have 5 wr’s on my team, but not all of them are fast, some have other attributes. The main 3 attributes I look at are speed, Bump and Run(B&R) avoidance, and pass receiving courage. Now this is not what every owner uses, but I have different lineups work for different types of offenses.

This is my normal setup
WR 1: My best receiver in b&r and pass rec courage
WR 2: My fastest receiver with good b&R
WR 3: My best hands receiver, not necessarily the fastest. The lowest speed I will go to is 69, but have used 66 on occasion.
WR 4 & WR 5: This is strictly personal preference on how you build your team.

You will notice I left out pass catching. Pass catching is an important attribute, but I just don’t put much stock in it. I will give you an example:

James Fernandez- Rapid City 971 yards, 10 td’s
He is obviously a good receiver. Here are his numbers
Speed 92
B&R avoid 85
Pass rec courage 66
pass catching 50
Times targeted 71
drops 7

The second player I want to look at is who I consider to be the best wide receiver in the league, at least from a attribute perspective.

James Paige- Broken Arrow 319 yards, 2 td's
Speed 93
B&R avoid 89
Pass rec courage 88
pass catching 86
Times targeted 65
drops 19

The reason I picked these two players is showing the pass catching abilities was to show the difference in pass catching vs. that actual abilities of the players. There is a 36 point difference between the two, but Fernandez has dropped less. When looking at your receivers don’t put too much thought into pass catching, it is there and important just not the primary focus.

Okay, now on to our special guest Meatmen and his take on the Wide Receiver position.

I would like to qualify myself by saying that I've been active in the game for just over 3 years now. I am no expert. I have only won 1 LC in 7 tries. More often than not I put up a competitive team that wins more than they lose. I try to build from within and rely on the FA pool heavily. Here is my take on WR's :

Stating the obvious you always want great speed and catch. 80-85+ speed or better is a rule.
SPEED, SPEED, SPEED! At least 75+ catch. If you’re going to have a slower player the remainder of his attributes better be rock solid! I like my receivers smaller than most I usually try to get a couple 5'11 guys with great rec. courage and good strength and route running. I will say most GM's like their WR's taller and that would be sound advice as well. I think they are easier to use as RB's when the need arises. The trend in this version seems to be to carry 7 or 8 receivers. I don't believe in it but to each his own. I have been modified my team is the past to suit the changes in versions...I won't any longer.

If at all possible you need two top notch receivers, all the red bars as high as possible for 1&2,
speed, acceleration, catch, and reception courage 80+. I like my top guys to have high strength to fight off those clingy DB's and real good run for the YAC factor. Good run also helps if your using your guy as a RB. (not all wr's will do well ). Other factors I consider are Intelligence, discipline and avoid fumble. (The latter doesn't seem to matter in this version). WR 3 can if need be a little lower in attributes. I like a good blocker at WR3 along with good catch and courage. Next (WR4&5) these guys don't need to be “STARS” You don't need to pay a ton of $ or give up the farm in pics to fill these spots. They don't need to have super high attributes, except for speed and catch unless you are going to run 4 & 5 wide all the time. It won't work in this version so don't even go there. Of course, you want the best players you can get but don't stress If you have to pick up a WR 5 at league minimum to round out your roster. I have found many WR With a 60-65 default rating and nothing but the minimum attributes that have gone on to be solid players. I .have drafted a few at the 40-50 level that have progressed into real nice 70's rated players. https://paydirt.myfootballnow.com/player/5098 and he is signed till year 9 for around 4.5M. He will never be a star but he is more than adequate for what I use him for.

Lastly, a few tips to help some of you new guys.

1. WR's and RB's drastically lose their abilities after Year 9. a few will go 10 but not many in my experience. I beg you don't sign an 8 or nine year RB/WR to a long term contract. Even a 90+ rate can drop like a rock and now you have a washed up player and a cap issue!

2. Set your player weights!!!!! This is a great tool if used correctly. It can help you find players your may be looking for and is great for finding those golden nuggets in the drafts.

3. Default ratings are not the “holy grail”! I have had and seen many teams with lower rated players be winners and make the playoffs. My thinking is two 70's players are many times worth more than 1 90's player. Yes it's important to get the best players available but it's not always possible so be flexible and experiment.

4. Good Receivers are almost useless if you don't have a QB with high accuracy, An OL with lots of strength and block, at least one preferably two RB's with speed, Strength and ball carry, a couple good TE with high catch, speed and good blocking can add to your game. You need the whole package in this version. (Yes, players play independently) Stay away from the long passing. Use it yes, but don't overuse it. You'll get intercepted and frustrated as the QB's in this version throw too soon.

Well that's my view. I hope that in some small way it helped. I am sure that there are many differing thoughts on the subject. Please feel free to take what you want and throw the rest out. Should anyone have any questions you can ask them here or PM me. I am always willing to help as many have helped me. Thanks to Greyghost for inviting me to share my thoughts. This was a great game and I have every confidence that the powers that be are working hard on a fix to the current growing pains. Have fun and good luck there is a lot to learn for all of us.............................................MM
**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

By Bryno
8/21/2019 9:50 pm
Great job by both of you!! Some contrast but not crazily different. I appreciate the effort in all of this! It's a great addition to this league!

By Meatmen
8/21/2019 10:49 pm
Bryno wrote:
Great job by both of you!! Some contrast but not crazily different. I appreciate the effort in all of this! It's a great addition to this league!

Thanks ...I agree that there is some contrast. We all know there are certain things that work and vice versa. In this version we (as vets) have figured out what works... Most of us have our own approach at getting there. Greyghost has his game and you have yours, Awest, Jouameng, smirt, Bryno etc.. pick a GM. Everyone has there own way. I think what is great is that we can come together and give our views to make both leagues and the game better!.......................MM
(I apologize if I left any of the vets out I was just picking names out of the air

By Smirt211
8/22/2019 4:49 am
Couple of things:

#1: Age 29, you're holding on for dear life hoping the WR maintains their speed. The expectation is they will. Age 30, anvil off a cliff. WEEEEEEEE!!!!! Expect speed to be shattered into the 70s for elite players. Meatmen was right to caution on this and I recall in the draft a couple early picks the reviews on them didn't realize how short term the players would be. :( (I was just waking up. I mixed this up with the League of Legends 1st Round Dispersal Draft Pick by Pick Recaps)

#2: My WR. I really didn't want to draft him but I sussed around at the time of the selection to find a better alternative. I kinda/sorta punted pass catching a bit to get the rest of the characteristics plus the need for speed. That was a good catch by you...!

By Meatmen
8/22/2019 5:08 am
Smirt211 wrote:
Couple of things:

#1: Age 29, you're holding on for dear life hoping the WR maintains their speed. The expectation is they will. Age 30, anvil off a cliff. WEEEEEEEE!!!!! Expect speed to be shattered into the 70s for elite players. Meatmen was right to caution on this and I recall in the draft a couple early picks the reviews on them didn't realize how short term the players would be. :(

#2: My WR. I really didn't want to draft him but I sussed around at the time of the selection to find a better alternative. I kinda/sorta punted pass catching a bit to get the rest of the characteristics plus the need for speed. That was a good catch by you...!

Ahh yes one of the things I forgot to include about the lower rated players is shelf life. Many will only have a few good seasons and I have no answer as how to tell when. Some will take years to get there. Maybe having been cut by several teams...then bang he's balls out for 2-3 seasons and then of to the bone yard. I had a guy in L10 that jsid cut he was a wr with not much more than Speed, br tackle and ball carry. I moved him to RB and he gained 900+ yards and had 12 TD's and I was paying him $400,000 a season. He had two good seasons and then off to the bone yard. LOL

By Big Poppa
8/22/2019 9:51 am
Meatmen wrote:
Smirt211 wrote:
Couple of things:

#1: Age 29, you're holding on for dear life hoping the WR maintains their speed. The expectation is they will. Age 30, anvil off a cliff. WEEEEEEEE!!!!! Expect speed to be shattered into the 70s for elite players. Meatmen was right to caution on this and I recall in the draft a couple early picks the reviews on them didn't realize how short term the players would be. :(

Ahh yes one of the things I forgot to include about the lower rated players is shelf life. Many will only have a few good seasons and I have no answer as how to tell when. Some will take years to get there. Maybe having been cut by several teams...then bang he's balls out for 2-3 seasons and then of to the bone yard. I had a guy in L10 that jsid cut he was a wr with not much more than Speed, br tackle and ball carry. I moved him to RB and he gained 900+ yards and had 12 TD's and I was paying him $400,000 a season. He had two good seasons and then off to the bone yard. LOL

Volatility dictates this:
High vol means bigger faster gains (or losses) in attributes
Low vol means slower more gradual gains (or losses) in attributes
Last edited at 9/10/2019 9:49 pm

By Beercloud
9/11/2019 7:09 am
The Players I am Watching- The Defensive Line

By greyghost1225
9/01/2019 6:05 pm
Alright……Here we go the final edition of the Players I am watching series for 1979. I hope these have helped and everyone has enjoyed them. Our special guest this week is Big Poppa. We are going to look at the defensive line.

Let me start by saying this. If you are new and are building your defensive line to be sack masters, don’t. Although sacks are still a part of the game, it takes special players to actually get sacks. I like sacks as much as the next owner, but to build a line that is tailored to it is tough and sometimes it takes too much experimentation on what works and what doesn’t. What I would recommend is find players that will get you hurries. There are two things that can happen with hurries, incompletions and interceptions. Now on to a couple of players I like.

Wayne Martino- Springfield Twisters
10 sacks, 27 hurries, and 41 tackles

Martino has great sack numbers which is great, but the 27 hurries is what I look at. 10 sacks, yes that is team stops, but the 27 hurries translates to the potential of 27 incompletions or interceptions. The 41 tackles tells me he is tough to run against.

Stephen Johnson- El Cajon Aztecs
3 sacks, 33 hurries, and 15 tackles

This is an example of a great pass rusher. The sack totals are not that high, but the 33 hurries lead the league. 15 tackles, I would say there are not many runs going to his side. Most owners have guys that can fill this numbers.

I could go on all day talking about my view of the defensive line, but will turn it over to our guest Big Poppa with his view.

Defensive Line...The gladiators of the gridiron.

That sentence alone should give you a pretty good idea as to what attributes you should look for when building your team in mfn...
The biggest, baddest, meanest dudes on the block. (If meanness was an attribute, it'd be my #1)
I know some of you already know all this stuff, so this is just my contribution to try and help the newer guys pick out some good rookies going forward.

What I look for in a DT (In order of preference):

Strength: As close to 100 as I can get... preferably at 70 or above

Pass Rush and Run Defense: (equally important to me) especially in this code.

Speed and acceleration: (also equally important)

Weight: 290 to 320

Height: 6ft +

Here's an example of a good DT. His default rating is 94. My weights have him at 88.
DT Loren Brown

Defensive ends:

I don't separate RDE and LDE in my weights like some do, I like for mine to be able to play either side if needed...even DT at times. I will go ahead and separate them here though because they are different depending on which side you play them on.

Here's a tip for new guys...because most runs in mfn are to the weak side(left) offenses play their tackles and guards on opposite sides than real football. They use their better run blockers on the left side...and their better pass blockers on the right side.

Therefore it kinda dictates that defenses should react accordingly and play their pass rushers at LDE and their run stoppers at RDE. (I know, weird huh?)

What I look for in a pass rushing DE:

Pass Rushing and Strength:

Speed and Acceleration:

Run Defense:

Tackle, and Strip:

Man to man coverage, zone coverage, bump and run

Weight: 265 to 290

What I look for in a run stuffing DE:

Run defense and strength:

Pass Rushing:

Tackle and strip:

Speed and acceleration:

Man to man,zone, bump and run

Weight: 270 to 295

To wrap up... these are strictly my preferences. I am far from an expert and yours will more than likely be different, especially as you get more and more familiar with the game and get your own set of weights.

A final word about weights:

Weights are like a set of filters for you to use to hone in on your personal preferences as to a players attributes.
Honestly, if you're new to the game I would advise you to use the default weights for a season or two until you get a feel for how players play in your system and gain some knowledge in setting weights for personal use. But I do encourage you to set your own as soon as you can do so comfortably.

But if you want to dive in and change your weights now there are some available that Sethrick has posted... I don't use his weights but they are certainly a good place to start. Sethrick knows his stuff and will be more than happy to help you with any questions you might have with his set.

By Beercloud
9/11/2019 7:11 am
The Players I am Watching- Linebackers

By greyghost1225
8/29/2019 1:32 am
All Right with the season rolling to a close it is time for my favorite position, linebackers. I am not an owner that sits down and dissects a bunch of individual numbers. I look at certain things in regards to linebackers and fortunately we have Smirt211 for more detail and to lay out his attributes that he likes. I like 3 basic categories when it comes to linebackers.

1. Speed- I like fast linebackers, there have been times that my linebackers are faster then my db’s believe it or not.
2. Strength- I do look for defensive line strong, but like to try to equal or at least in the neighborhood ow my speed.
3. Run Defense- I am old school and believe that linebackers should be good against the run, the higher the run defense the better.

I put some thought into tackling, but am willing to drop down to a 40 in tackling on occasion, it all depends on the other attributes. I like certain characteristics and most of the time try to stick to these.

Without further hesitation, here is Smirt211, a well renown owner and a pretty nice, unless disagrees with me, just kidding.

Let me be the first to say that I'm not scientific. A lot of what I do in MFN is based off feel
and reactionary to results/data points. I believe the easiest way for me to explore "The World
Of Linebackers" is to extract from my starting triad and to give you a glimpse into my mindset.
Here we go!

MLB - Anthony Carr

Height: 5' 11"
Weight: 237 (3% below average)
Experience: 3
From Start: +10/-2
This Season: +10/-2

Max Speed 88
Acceleration 88
Strength 79
Intelligence 88
Discipline 78
Tackle Ability 74/84
Strip Ball 24/42
Pass Rush 70/87
Run Defense 60/88
Punish Receiver 65/86
Zone coverage 75/96
M2M Coverage 84/96
B&R Coverage 63/74

Analysis: We'll look at it in terms of what I'm looking for him to grow into. The Middle
Linebacker should be your best all-around athlete in the position set. My starting point is
to acquire a high speed, head on a swivel rover whom can cover ground at lightning speed. Think 75+ speed and acceleration with a target of acquiring 80 in each category. You're shooting for high marks everywhere in each category but you have to accept hits somewhere. In order to get the prototypical MLB'er I desire I'll punt kick strip ball and B & R since he'll be off the defensive line most of the time! Punish Receiver is also something I'll take at a reduced rate, however, that means maxing out at Tackle Ability, Run Defense, Pass Rush and both M2M and Zone Coverages. Think of the MLB as a whirlwind main disruptor on your defense. Therefore, you want him barreling in on runs, halting them in their tracks and even if not accumulating sacks...pressures and errant mis-fires from the QB a result of his constant pressure.

WLB - Rick Meyer

Height: 6' 3"
Weight: 241 (2% above average)
Experience: 4
From Start: +8/+1
This Season: +8/+1

Max Speed 82
Acceleration 85
Strength 78
Intelligence 73
Discipline 73
Tackle Ability 78/87
Strip Ball 57/85
Pass Rush 70/73
Run Defense 91/100
Punish Receiver 15/15
Zone coverage 82/95
B&R Coverage 69/96
B&R Coverage 69/96

Analysis: Speed requirements same as MLB with 75+ in each category and 80 being the mark to shoot for. You just don't want to traverse into the 60's territory. 70/70 as a bottom baseline for Speed and Acceleration is perfectly fine. In fact, in a re-consideration you may need to settle on the basement 70/70 in order to attain excellence at the rest. Critical for the WLB is Pass Rush, Run Defense and the trio of Coverage ratings. (B & R included here since the WLB will be at the defensive line in some formations) Where do I accept the hits on WLB? Punish Receiver at the pinnacle of the list and then Strip Ball followed by Tackle Ability. You simply can't have it all, therefore, it's a toggle game. Less speed means pinned out Pass Rush, Run Defense with high Strip Ball and/or Tackle Ability. Elite Speed translates to superior Pass Rush but maybe coverage pulled back a little. I opened up my portion of the article how a lot of MFN is based on feel. The objective is to put a WLB out there whom is going to do damage. QB Pressure, Pass Lane Disruption, Backfield Run Implosions. Just get a player whom is a difference maker at this position with an identity and you'll be fine.

SLB - Adrian Ledesma

Height: 6' 1"
Weight: 241 (0% above average)
Experience: 4
From Start: +6/+2
This Season: +6/+2

Max Speed 80
Acceleration 50
Strength 77
Intelligence 74
Discipline 67
Tackle Ability 66/82
Strip Ball 34/39
Pass Rush 82/85
Run Defense 56/71
Punish Receiver 60/91
Zone coverage 44/54
M2M Coverage 55/64
B&R Coverage 35/35

Analysis: Here's where you make concessions with what should be your 3rd Best Linebacker and your reinforcement chess piece. (place him into your MLB #2 and WLB #2 slots since the SLB appears in much less formation sets than his positional counterparts) I possess 80/50 speed here but again it's a toggle situation. Lets say you have yourself a 60/60 speed SLB then you'll want 95+ Pass Rush and roughly 90+ Run Defense to offset the speed decifit. Since the SLB will be an all purpose Linebacker for you the goal will be to have him set up with attributes which can slide in and cause nearly the same disruption as your starting MLB and WLB. If you achieve 75+ Speed and Acceleration you'll still want the Pass Rush to be the chief vital and maxed out as possible but you can pull back on items such as Strip Ball and Tackle Ability. SLB will be encroaching on the defensive line a lot, therefore, aim for B & R coverage or like I did here...attain high end Punish Receiver for Ball Separation/Incomplete Passes on 50/50 balls. At this juncture you're 3 Linebackers in so you're not going to be fielding an All-World baller. You've got to find the perfect brew to mix in with your MLB and WLB and in coalition form a triumvirate which will repel the opposition's run game and short passing strategies as best as humanly possible in order to achieve optimum MFN success.

By Beercloud
9/11/2019 7:14 am
The Players I am Watching- The Defensive Backs

By greyghost1225
8/24/2019 9:12 pm
Okay, this is our defensive backs addition. Now I am not going to spend much time with my view of what should be taken or not. I am going to share some numbers and things to be aware of on a transaction basis. Our special guest this edition is Otterpop. I am in several league with Otter and there is one thing that I will say. He always has great db’s, so I am going to give him the floor on this.

I will say that in many ways, db’s are the most important position in any team. In drafts you will find that db’s go faster than any other position, especially in leagues with experienced owners. This is because they are a rare commodity. When trading understand their value. They may be a 70 overall, but a 70 at db is as valuable as a 85-90 in other positions. Be aware of specific trades, for example someone willing to give you a 700 trade rating at Oline for a good db and a draft pick. Unless you have excess at db and desperate at offensive line, don’t even think about it. If you have 3-4 very good to great db’s, you are most likely going to the playoffs.

Player views
Remember when I was talking about DB Joe Ramey at the beginning of the season and his record run, will he cooled off. Here are the top 3 in interceptions. Check out their attributes a gain a better understanding.

Douglas Manning- Ozark
14 ints
44.4 % catches allowed
78 tackles

Joe Ramey- Fullerton
10 ints
36.3% catches allowed
53 tackles

Larry Jolley- Springfield
9 ints
43.7% catches allowed
51 tackles

Without further hesitation here is Otterpop’s secret formula.

What I look For by Position

Cornerback

Speed 75+
Acceleration 70+
Intelligence 50+

Bump & Run 90+
Man 2 Man 80 +
Punish Receiver 60+

Consider a plus
Tackle 40+
Run Defense 40+
Zone Defense 30+

When it comes to the cornerback position the faster the better. My thought process on this is, if a mistake occurs the corner can correct the mistake by using his speed to correct the problem. So if the Wide Receiver gets by the corner he has the closing speed to make sure nothing to bad happens. Even if zone worked on MFN I would not put a lot of stock in the zone since I prefer my corners to play man 2 man. So why I do put Bump & Run greater than Man 2 Man beside the initial bump at the line I believe (Not Proven) that if the corner has high bump & run he will play closer to the wide receiver down the field. Man 2 Man is important still but if you want to blanket the Wide Receiver you need the high bump & run (My Theory) I honestly do not care about interceptions my philosophy is that if my corner is playing the wide receiver so close that when it is time to get rid of the ball the Quarterback won’t even think about throwing the ball.

Free Safety

Speed 75+
Acceleration 70+
Strength 40+
Intelligence 50+

Bump & Run 90+
Man 2 Man 80 +
Punish Receiver 60+
Zone 55+
Run Defense 60+
Tackle 60+

Free Safety to me is a corner with tackling ability and run stopping ability he can cover when he has to and stop the run when he has to. He should probably be if not your best but one of your better defenders on defense. Zone was added because playing I like to play 1 deep man/zone or 2 deep man/zone.

Strong Safety

Speed 75+
Acceleration 70+
Strength 50+
Intelligence 50+

Bump & Run 70+
Man 2 Man 80 +
Punish Receiver 70+
Zone 70+
Run Defense 75+
Tackle 70+

Strong Safety for me, is a smaller version of a linebacker. He is my run stopper and occasionally someone I will blitz just to throw you off your game. He is a jack of all trades with an altitude problem. This is another position I would consider being one of the best defenders on defense.

There you have it. I put a lot of stock in my defensive backfield they tend to be the best players on my defense. MFN is a pass happy game so if your defensive backfield is sub-par then you are likely on the losing end in most of your games. So put stock in your defensive backfield and remember SPEED is important MFN likes to throw guys who have all the skill but no speed, the will work in a pinch or situationally but in the end if your man doesn’t have speed the offense is going to smoke you it is just a matter of time.
********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

By Smirt211
8/25/2019 12:24 pm
There's some new users in this league which makes these articles really beneficial. In fact, whether it's the main board or other similar newer based leagues like Legends these submissions should be simulcast onto other league boards.

Been a little burnt out plus the injury debate stuff. When do you need my Linebacker analysis sent over to you?

By greyghost1225
8/25/2019 1:31 pm
Smirt211 wrote:
There's some new users in this league which makes these articles really beneficial. In fact, whether it's the main board or other similar newer based leagues like Legends these submissions should be simulcast onto other league boards.

Been a little burnt out plus the injury debate stuff. When do you need my Linebacker analysis sent over to you?

thanks if possible, by Weds.
Liked by Meatmen, Beercloud
Mark Unread Quote Reply
Re: The Players I am Watching- The Defensive Backs

By Smirt211
8/25/2019 1:44 pm
You're welcome. I'll definitely have it to you by then!

By Smirt211
8/26/2019 12:49 pm
I'm going to put something together now and shoot it over to you.
Last edited at 9/11/2019 7:14 am

By Beercloud
9/11/2019 7:16 am
SPECIAL EDITION: The Salary Cap

By greyghost1225
9/08/2019 6:28 pm
I am not going to add my view on this, because we have two long, great established owners to give you the in's and Out's. This special edition is being to done at this time to help owners get ready for the new season. There will be another added today or tomorrow in regards to trade philosophies. So here we go with our esteemed League Administrator Beercloud and an owner that has added previously and is just a great overall person Meatmen. Now there is mucho information here, so take your time and refer to this frequently.

From Beercloud

This is a wide open topic for discussion with different strategies abound, but in the end it's a much simpler task than it appears on the face. Here we will get into the basics of how myself and others approach things that should make it fairly easy for you to keep your franchise under the cap, not only in the season your currently in, but in future seasons as well. After all that is the key to keep your franchises finances in order. It's all about that cap space for next season. So here we go.

How easy is it to stay under the cap? In two weeks I will have been in MFN for 4 years. In those for years I have never gotten a team into "Cap Hell" as they call it. Many GM's here can say the same. It's not hard to do if you follow some basic stuff.

1. When re-signing your own players, pay the least amount of bonus possible. I'll show you how to do this later in this tutorial.
2. Free agency is expensive. Before you start throwing bids out there for a player that is your next Barry Sanders, take a good look at your cap space for next year, not this years. You want to stay ahead of the game.
3. Dead Cap or not to Dead Cap. Some GM's try to stay away from dead cap and some like to use it. I like to use dead space.(but not too much) More on that later.
4. High draft picks. Everyone wants high draft picks right? Well at least til they bust. I think that is more suited for Jouameng's upcoming segment on Wheelin n Dealin. Cap wise, high picks are expensive but not as expensive as free agency can be. Another thing about high draft picks is, that players salary not only start out high, but it only goes higher from their. You have to balance the risk(possible bust) vs reward. Remember, always look at your cap for next year.
5. Rebuilding and Cap Management. Rebuilding a team is an art. If you keep a team long enough sooner or later you will have to rebuild. And there are several different ways to go about it. No right or wrong way, just different ways. The only wrong way is to start cutting everybody right off the bat without any plan and then start throwing money into free agency. That can get you into cap hell quicker than the devil looking for a cold drink. You must think it through or you can get your team into a mess an wonder how did I get here?

1. Re-signing players
The best way to re-sign a player is to use this process I'll show you below. There's use to be a spreadsheet tool made by I can't remember who. Very sorry about that cause he put work into it for the community. kudos to him. But here are the steps to follow to get your player for the cheapest contract possible.
A) If you have a player that is worth resigning in your opinion, he will be seeking a bonus. There is a minimum amount that he will accept. Once you find that out then you can figure out not only his minimum bonus but the least amount of base pay as well. This can save you millions in cap if you follow this process on each and every player you re-sign.

1. Go to your team page and in the drop down box on the upper right side of the roster sheet, choose player contracts. This will show you the players name, main position, experience in yrs, current cap cost, saved if released now, years of the contract remaining, and current and future overall rating.
2. Click on the player you want to re-sign. His player card will popup.
3. On his player card there are 3 red buttons under his name and to the right. Click on the Contract button which should be in the middle.
4. Renegotiate Contract popup window should appear. Information contained is:
a) Current Contracts: This years total base contracts.
b) Current Bonuses: This years total bonuses.
c) Pending Contracts: The total amount of contract offers that you have out there.
d) Dead Cap: The total amount of dead cap that you have in the current year.
e) Min for Remaining Players
g) Remaining Cap Room: the remaining cap room for the current year.
h) First Year Base + Bonus slider
i) Bonus %
j) Total Bonus window
k) Contract offer breakdown which shows the yr - base salary - % of increase from one yr to the next - bonus - total contract amount for each year - Diff = difference the offer has against the cap. inc means your increasing the cap used and save means your saving that much cap space.

Here are the steps of renegotiating a contract to get him signed at the minimum.

1. First Year Base + Bonus = move slider all the way to the left or its lowest amount.
2. Years = in the drop down window set it to 2 yrs
3. Bonus = move the slider all the way left so it shows $0 bonus
4. Click Submit Offer button at the bottom right.
5. A window will popup showing = "This player will not renegotiate for a bonus less than xxx. There now you know what his minimum bonus demand is. He will NOT sign for less than this. Write that number down and Click OK and lets get him signed.
6. Leave the First Year Base + Bonus slider all the way to the left.
7. Choose the years of desired contract length. For me I almost always set it to the max 6 yrs. This is where I potentially use the dead cap in my favor. The longer the years the less cap space it uses each yr. Example: a guy you offered 10m for 2 yrs is going to eat up more cap space per year than a 10m contract over 6 yrs. The player will not play for less than a xxx bonus no matter. So why not spread it out over more years and save your cap space. If he does get traded, released or retires before the contract is up you do pay the rest of the bonus as dead cap but you do not owe the future base salary. This is how I work the dead cap to open up cap space. I do this for older players even when Im pretty sure they will retire before the contract is up. I only resign players that I want long term anyways. I try not to resign players just to fill out a roster. I will hunt for diamonds in the rough for that. Now if you trade a lot playing the dead cap game might not be for you. You really gotta know what your doing to keep things in check. But if your a light to moderate trader this will work for you.
8. Bonus slider = slide all the way to the right or 75%
9. First Year Base + Bonus = Now move this slider slowly to the right til the amount of the players request bonus(or a lil over) shows up in the Total Bonus window. It's usually a lil over.
10. Total Bonus = Now you highlight the amount in the Total Bonus window and type in the amount that you wrote down which is the amount that the player asked for. Click anywhere on the page so the program knows your done and now you have the lowest contract offer that you can sign him for. Look at the contract details at the bottom and see if your saving or increasing the cap amount and by how much. Decide if you want to continue and either click the Submit Offer button on the bottom right or if you dont like the deal and want out, click on the X on the upper right side of the window.
As a side note: I try to wait until they are in their last year of the current contract before I renegotiate a new one. But occasionally it can be beneficial to renegotiate with 2 yrs remaining.

2. Free Agency

As mentioned above free agency can be a two sided sword. Very expensive for a player that the last team didn't want and prolly knows how he plays better than you. Unless you've watched some game film on him. Remember that all players don't always play to their ratings. Keep that in mind. But there are times where a player is out there maybe cause his old team had to get rid of for cap reasons or rebuild reasons and just couldn't find a deal to trade him. And you want this guy bad. Then you have to look at your situation and make a choice. Can I afford him? Or is he going to strap me? Maybe this cat will send you over the top. That's what we all hope when we dive in. And plus the bidding wars are a heck of a lot of fun. Just be smart about it. Now what I use free agency mostly for is for "Fillers". Those diamonds in the rough or special teams guys. You can look deep into the pages and find these guys on the cheap. I always offer players 2 year contracts on these types of players. I like to be in control of my rosters. If I sign them to a 1 yr contract I lose the rights to re-sign them if I want to. So out comes the 2 years contracts. I usually can pick these guys up for the league min bonus which you can find out using the method above. Now don't use that minimum bonus method on free agents that have or you think will have competition bids on. Players like bonuses and you will most likely lose out on that player. Anyways, those backups come in handy when the season starts and the injuries pile up. They can get through some games on occasion with some decent backups. And one game can make the difference between an early off-season or a chance at you league championship. Seen it on many occasions.

In free agency players like guaranteed money. On some occasions a player chooses a team by what we don't know. But for the most part they like bonus money. This is where you have to be smart with your strategy. I have had on more than one occasion lost a player I thought I was gonna get because another GM offered the player a shorter term contract with less bonus money overall but more bonus money per year. And vice versa. Dont get lost in a bidding war so much to wear you lose sight of your cap space for next year. Most of the top GM's try to keep their cap space for the next year above 40m. You start getting below 25-30m and you start strapping yourself to make moves easily. This is with a league cap of around 200m. You can use that as a guide. The higher the league cap the more $$ you want in reserve. Look around your own league at the top teams and see where they are at. That will give you a clue on where you want to be.

3. Dead Cap

I already covered for the most part but here is more detail on how it works. Dead Cap is money being paid to a player not on the roster and counts against your teams cap. Example: When you sign a player with a bonus, that is exactly what it says. A bonus to persuade him to sign with your team and not this other team. You owe that to him up front. That money is gone, you just spent it. The league allows you to spread that bonus out over the length of that contract for cap reasons. But if you trade or release him before his contract is up, the remaining balance of the cap is owed, known as dead cap. In RL there are some variables like a team can recoup bonus' etc... But here our dots like things simple and they do like their bonus money. So they can buy their female dots, dot things like dot cars and dot jewelry and other dot stuff.

4. High Draft Picks

This is usually the best way to keep your cap in order. But if you relied on the draft alone, you'd prolly have a hard time filling a full roster. Just keep in mind that high draft picks come at a cost and a risk. And those costs will go up come renegotiation time. Just keep that in mind and have a plan. Oh ya, as fun as free agency is, so is the draft. A completely different animal and a lot of fun none the less.

5. Rebuilding and Cap Management

Many veteran GM's of MFN have rebuilt a team or two in their day. There are multiple different ways to rebuild them and I've seen quite a few different ones bring home a title. But one thing that these GM's all have in common when rebuilding? They always keep this years and mostly next years cap in the corner of their eye when making their moves. When you have one of these guru's in any of your leagues, keep an eye on them. Watch the moves they make. Watch their cap when they make these moves. It's an art and fun to watch how they maneuver their rosters around. Truth be told, even after watching and maybe understand what they are doing, you will prolly still do it a lil differently which is prolly the funnest part of this game. There are a lot of different ways to win the battle.

Managing your cap is easy as long as you don't recklessly throw money around. When you trade or release a player you are still eating that bonus. Keep that in mind. Also this prolly falls into a different article but it does affect team finances so I'll bring it up here too. I see countless rookie GM's throw money at players with high overall ratings. Do not fall into this trap. Overall ratings for the most part mean squat. Most seasoned GM's don't even look at them. To get a good idea read greyghost1225's guide series on what to look for in players and follow it as close as you can. Of course there are trade offs in this game. There are a lot of em which makes this game challenging and fun. We'd all love to have that player with a 100 in every category. Good luck with that. A famous Rolling Stones song comes to mind. These lyrics are perfect for this game, "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might find, you get what you need". Spend you money wisely. The less you are roster shuffling of high priced players on your roster because of mistakes the cheaper it will be for you in the long run.

Closing:
This covers the basics and hope it helps some. Winning and losing in this game is about Game Planning, Roster Building and Cap Management. Use that renegotiating method religiously and just dont feel like you have to spend all your money today. This is not a Madden type game where you can play a whole season in a day. This game requires a lil planning a patients and most importantly strategy.

Good luck and have fun.

From the Meatmen:

Once again, I will qualify myself as a non expert and point out that there are many ways to go about cap and salary. One thing I will stress is that, by far “bad contracts” will most likely lead to “cap hell” and this issue is the hardest to fix. Unless you want to blow all your hard work and time spent finding the perfect mix of players. You need to be good at this. Wherever you find your players you have to be smart about signing them. Remember this is only my opinion, it has worked for me.

NEVER, EVER, EVER use the renegotiation wizard to sign players! Since my first year, I have used a tool that was made by a former GM (jsid). jsids contract extension wizard has been great. It'll save you around 20% when negotiating a contract during the regular season! It's ok to use it during the FA periods but if you get into a biding war you will more than likely lose. More on that later.

jsids contract extension wizard:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18yvPQ2qB-icvbvfJ0wwTgi4yEc6KydyNZWWeS66RAG8/edit#gid=1815952060
I will post a few examples after the article.

If I am signing players out of the FA pool, Most often than not, I will to offer a two year contract for the league minimum. This is simple logic, if he works out I can offer another contract later. If not, It doesn't cost a fortune to throw him back. Unless you find a hidden gem and your feeling all Jerry Sandusky for him, DON'T sign these players to anything more than 2 until you determine if they will work in your system. Many will, some won't. Be aware these players (especially lower rated players) will have of not have the degree of success and longevity. Watch there progress on their players page. I have had 50 rated players that had two or three great years and then crapped out. I've had others that never get off the ground. and still others that were competent for 6-7 years.Keep the salary and bonuses to a minimum. It will help your cap big time!

Renegotiation of contracts for your current players is pretty straightforward. I try to sign the players I feel will worth keeping to longer contracts and stretch the bonus $$ over longer periods of time. I will share a few of my rules that can help you from getting caught up in common issues. Remember these are my rules and others may not agree.

1. DON'T give long term contracts to older players. Players like (RB's & WR's) lose there valuable attributes and decline in production sharply around their 9th season in most cases. There days as starters and every play players will be severely limited. They are DONE! Most will retire and take their bonus money leaving you screwed. If you must sign these players do it after the FA period.
My cutoffs are: 9 seasons for RB's,WR,'s,CB's SS's / (9-10 for TE's, FB's, LB's & FS's
Most offensive linemen are done at 10 and will retire. I'm not sure why but DL seem to have real good longevity. I've had good production from some up to 13-14 years. I don't give them long term deals. QB's are usually long lived as well Older guys will make a good BU if he has retained the desirable atts.

2. Don't get into a biding war in the free agency period over a mediocre player. I don't need an 7-8 year old line backer that I'm going to pay 70-80-90 million. It will burn you in the end. Some GM's will 'front load' the contracts so they don't get stuck with the bonus $. I usually don't, you can find players in the FA pool that will be just as good, it's your choice.

3. Giving a bigger contract to a player that is unhappy will not fix the issue in almost all cases. He is most likely “unhappy” because he feels he should be playing more. Some FA pool guys will do this. I don't screw with them, I cut them and find someone else. Too many fish in the sea.

Always be aware of your cap and number of active players you have. The absolute last thing you want is for the AI to take over and “reset” your roster because you have too many or too few players or your over your cap! I m's totally lose all their effort and time spent on a team over this point! This is the WORST case scenario! The AI is not looking out for your best interests it is only bringing you back in line with the league requirements.

I could write another page and give examples on this subject as I feel it's one of the biggest contributors to newer GM's frustration and the sole reason why guys like beercloud and Greyghost have to spend several seasons rebuilding teams with screwed up caps and contracts. BE smart, ASK questions, and ENJOY this great game! If you need or want some help there are many smarter and successful GM's in the two leagues. Most of which are glad to help. If that doesn't work well I'm here too.....LOL! I'll will be glad to lend a hand..Thanks beercloud & greyghost for letting me put my two cents in....................................MM

So there you have a great example of the details involved in your team building process. Both of these owners have offered a large amount of great insight inside the inner workings of their team building process in regards to salary caps.

By Beercloud
9/11/2019 7:18 am
SPECIAL EDITION: Trading

By greyghost1225
9/10/2019 12:31 am
Alright…here we go the final edition of the 1979 season. I would like to congratulate El Cajon for winning the championship and Bellingham for winning the Belichick conference. A fantastic job this season, by both Hectorg93 and birn. Our final edition covers trading. This will be the most important article for some going into the 1980 season.

I can going to outline a few things I look at when trading, then turn it over to our guest correspondent jouameng. I have said this many times and probably will say it a few more. I doubt there has been anyone in MFN that has taken over more mismanaged teams than me. I look for the worst in talent, salary cap, etc. and that is the team I want to build. When I build a team I look at the talent level, salary cap, and what talent I can TRADE. There are a few things I look at.

1. Team Strength- Where is my strength? Is it in youth or can I win right now. If I have a strong on the side of youth and won’t win for a few seasons, then any player that is age 27+ can be traded. I don’t want a player on the down side when I put the pieces together. If I have a team that is strong and can win today. I may be willing to part with that young player or draft picks to get that final piece of the puzzle for the winning season. Every situation is different and must fall within the philosophy that you as an owner are developing. The one thing I recommend is develop your team building philosophy and stick with it, don’t change back and forth., the same with trades.
2. Trade Meter- This has been a battle since the beginning of time. I don’t believe in it, jouameng will share a different opinion. The trade meter is based off of general default attributes and not personal modification of weights. The trade meter does not adjust for individual team weights. If a team sets their own weights, then the trade meter does not apply. The default setting is useless in this case. If the default weights set the trade value of a player rated an 85 at 1800, but once I apply my weights and that player is rated a 70, but the trade meter is still at 1800. This is of no value to me. You will find varying opinions on this, so judge carefully.
3. Salary Cap Hit- The only team that takes the hit is the team that holds the contract to that s-specific player. So when you look at trading for a player just look at the salary that is the only thing you will be responsible for, not the bonus. Now with that being said if a team wants a player from me that I will have to take a 5-10-20 mil cap hit on. They should be willing to give up a little more for me to take that hit.
4. Trade Fair- This is not fantasy football, many of us have been playing this game and have dealt with each other occasionally. The one thing that I do no matter what is try to work out deals that are best for both teams. I don’t go into the trade with I am going to win and you are going to lose in this deal. I look and say we are both going to get what we want in this deal and we are both going to walk away winners.

Now here is the true trade master jouameng

Besides winning, there’s no other excitement in MFN than being able to successfully work out a trade. Trades are a beautiful yet delicate transactional process. They allow you to go out and get virtually any player you truly want to add to your team. With free agency you’re bidding against other teams, with the draft, you have to sit and wait your turn, but with trades, it’s just you and another owner. The thing with trading though, is that it truly could make or break your team.

Trading is a delicate process. It’s time consuming and may take a while to finally even get to a point where the negotiations can truly begin. Here’s the inside scoop on the process I go through to work out a trade.
There are many things you should do before even starting the trading process, first of which is knowing your team. By that, I mean knowing where your positional strengths and weaknesses. From there you plan a course of action on how you’d like to improve your team. Another thing you should do before you start trading is understanding which attributes are valuable to each position. Without those 2 hand in hand, it’s trading blindly, and that could lead to years of rebuilding.

Once you figure out where your strengths and weaknesses are, create a mental (or physical) note of just HOW much you’re willing to give up on those strengths to improve your weaknesses.

Dead Cap

In trading there’s generally a dead cap hit you’ll take when dealing players. While I don’t really factor in the dead cap hit I take in any of my deals, it’s important to keep track. Overall, it’d be wise to not trade away players you’ve just signed to large extensions as that dead cap hit could cripple your team for the future in FA’s and the Draft but if you do, make sure you account for that in the package you’d be receiving and ask for a little extra value.

Trade Partners

So when I look for a trading partner, if I’m honest (like REALLY honest), I tend to avoid trading with top tier teams/owners if at all possible. My mindset in this is, “Unless the trade greatly benefits me, why would I want to help load up a team/owner with talent that I may have to compete with in the future?” After I eliminate teams I would rather not trade with, I go through the rest of the league. If your strengths are QB then look for teams that are on the cusp of winning but lack that QB talent. Offensive Line? Then check out the stats to see which teams give up the most sacks. Defensive Line? Look for teams that rank near the bottom in sacks or rushing yards gave up. For the rest of the positions RB, WR, LB, and DB those are the hot positions. They’re virtually needed by all teams unless they’re just completely stacked at one of those positions. Don’t be the team that offers a QB to a team with 2 possible starting QB’s on their roster (Unless they’re old and about to retire). It’s a waste of time to trade your strengths to a team that has no need for them either.

Trading for Value vs. Trading for Players

While trading may seem like its one dimension, it’s not. In trading, you can either trade for a player you have your eyes set out on, or you could simply be trading for a player you may not even need, but you may get a good deal on. Generally, when I feel like I need to improve at a position, I go to Player Search>All players>Download CSV. From there I simply go through the excel sheet search for players with high attributes in those positions. Simply go through and fine-tune the numbers to what you feel is desirable in those positions. You may even find some gems in Free Agency if you’re lucky! Then find which teams those players are on a simply by gauging the player’s place on the depth chart, their game usage, and the owner of the team it usually helps you figure out what you’d need to give up for the player. A player that’s getting no playing time? Probably easy to get, a player that’s started 7/7 games? Probably much harder. This is generally the steps I go through when searching for players I want to add on my team.

Players of value, that’s where the trade block comes in handy. Players that are on the trade block generally are being traded at a discount, although don’t take my word for it. That’s not to say low ball the owner, but when negotiating, it’s usually much easier than it is when you’re trading for a specific player. For me, I usually once in a while take a glance in the trade block and filter the age. I look for younger players that have useful attributes and are also improving. If you can find one, trade for them, even if you may not have any use for them. Having this player on your team does 3 things for you. Gives you useful depth on your team, gives you positional flexibility in which you could trade the starter and let the younger acquisition start, and lastly gives you ammunition for future trades that may involve the player.
Another way to trade for value isn’t searching for it, but giving up value. If you’re absolutely stacked at a position with talent from top to bottom, don’t post that you’re shopping them but try sending offers out for those players. Even if you don’t have any positions you want to improve at, you can always trade for draft picks.

Draft Picks

My favorite currency in trading is draft picks. You can trade them or for them without any cap hit and they will always have value (granted with the lack of talent in drafts now a little less), but no matter what, teams will always have a need for them. Accrue as many as you can as they’re valuable trade pieces.

Trade Score

The trade meter/score is an important tool in the trading process, while I hear MANY complain about the trade score/meter, I’m personally like that it helps to visualize the range of players worth… I’m not saying it doesn’t have flaws, as a 32 y/o OL shouldn’t have a 1200 trade score or an RB/WR with great attributes but tagged with a 9 trade score is worthless, but most of the time it does help give you a gauge of player’s worth. There are MANY exceptions but for the most part when I make deals, I try to get the trade score as evenly as possible.

Always Try to Get Extra Value

That may be self-explanatory but always look for value. When you’re close to completing a deal, maybe ask for that extra low round draft pick. Maybe try to ask for a promising, yet low trade score player. Always look for additional pieces you can add to your team, even if you don’t need them value builds up and eventually you’ll be able to use those small accumulations of value to make a bigger move.

Understand Positional Switches

This is probably what I feel like most GM’s struggle within trading. Always be on the lookout for players with the ability to switch positions. Whether it be a Defensive End who has great cover skills which would translate well to a Defensive Back position or a Running Back that has great blocking attributes who could be moved to the Offensive Line. While logic would tell you, “In the NFL it doesn’t matter if JJ Watt is a great cover DLineman, he’d never work out at CB.” I’m here to tell you that in MFN, he’d be a great CB. He’ll lose the weight needed to become a CB and gain speed to match as well. Another way about this is trading for older LB/DB’s and transitioning them to the DL. We all know DL play well into their mid-30 while LB’s and DB’s paly up until their early 30’s. If they have the strength and good run/pass defense, why not move them to the DL and extend their careers. Most teams are willing to trade their older players for much cheaper and moving them could help you create an effective DL for cheap. The same goes for moving TE’s who are hitting their retirement age to OL. This will extend their careers and provide you good value. One thing to note though is that all players may not ever hit the weight of the intended positional switch.

To wrap it up, trading is exciting and has so many different concepts that go into it. While it’s a great way to build your team, it could also be dangerous if you don’t understand the fundamentals. Once you understand player attributes, what makes them great, and the direction you want to take your team, trading can really be a fun part of building your team. Have fun and trade smart!

So there it is the official close to the 1979 season. What a great one it has been. The shared knowledge should make all the new owners even better next season and it will be awesome to see. Good Luck!

By Beercloud
10/07/2019 4:29 pm
The Players I am Watching- Offensive Line

By greyghost1225
10/07/2019 5:01 pm
This was something that I couldn't fit in last season, but didn't want it to go unnoticed. Grandad, the Champion of the big league has graciously given us his take on the Offensive Line, thank you Grandad.

O Line Management

O line has never has been a top priority position group for me throughout several versions of the game. You will never see me use a first round pick on a OL, especially 1.25 or higher. Thats not to say it isnt important, but overall, its the easiest of the position groups to find players that will do a good job for you. The following advice is based on how I manage OL, that's not to say it's the best, it may or may not be, and there's always room for improvement along with adapting to future game version changes. .

There are a couple of good threads that have recommended player weight settings, but overall, strength is the key attribute for an OL, which I set at 100 for all the OL positions. Then its a matter of choice where you set your pass block and run block attribute weights. In previous game versions, I went with 100 pass block and 50 or lower run, as my offenses were much more pass oriented. Now you may want to set those weights much more balanced, depending on your pass/run play ratio. As far as an OL player's actual weight goes, I prefer 300 pounders, their weight does figure into the play algorithm/code. I also prefer my centers to be 300+ lbs, most centers are around 285. I cant say for sure w/o really looking at the blocking stats whether or not that is an advantage, maybe it is, but I just like bigger OL.

Attributes .... I try to go with the following minimums .... 60+ strength, 50+ speed for OTs, 300 lbs, 60+ pass, and 50+ run block. I will go lower on one attribute, usually speed, if the other attributes are good.

I usually put my two best OL run blockers at Left Tackle and Guard. That's where you get a higher % of run plays that have the best overall averages.

Stats ...... it's important to keep an eye on your player stats. For OL, its the "Misc" category. First thing I look at is the # of pass blocks vs sacks allowed. Any ratio more than 1 sack per 100 pass blocks is a cause for concern for me. Sacks have been drastically reduced in the 4.5 game version, so its not as big a deal as previously. Its a big part of the reason that you can now get OL with better or equal run block rating as you dont have to worry as much about getting sacked, which is devastating to a drive. An OL with 60 or better pass block will usually get the job done. Then I look at the run blocks vs tackles allowed, mostly to see if there is one of the starters who are allowing a higher % of tackles, but that is also dependent on play selection and whether or not you run more to the left side of the line or not.

One of the reasons I highly recommend a constant review of the blocking stats is to determine where your OL group position fatigue setting should be. Fatigue is probably one of the most overlooked factors in the game. If your OL subs are blocking as well or better than your starters, you should lower your fatigue setting to give your subs more reps. I usually run mine at 35 as opposed to the standard 60. I also recommend that you have at least two subs at each position.

I prefer not to put any of my starting OL and any other position, including special teams. I put my subs at multiple positions, especially those who are equally rated at other OL positions. I put all of my OL subs on Spec Teams Blocker. Doing so reduces the potential for injury to your starter and reduces the fatigue, which builds up as the game goes on.

Thats about it, other than inconsistencies, which drives everyone nuts. But, it also opens the door for OL that you can find in the FA pool that can start for you and do as good a job as a 90 rater. Focus your weights on the key attributes and you will be able to find those OL when you need one.